Your roof is one of the most important parts of a house. It's the roof that helps give the home structural integrity, not to mention it offers protection from the elements. When something happens to the roof, it can be very expensive to fix, especially if the whole thing needs to be replaced. Because of its importance, if you are replacing your roof or building a new home, you definitely need to take time to consider the type of roofing material you use.
Here are three types of roofing materials and advantages of each.
1. Asphalt Roofing
Asphalt is a combination of sand or gravel that's mixed together with tar. While it's commonly used for surfacing roads, asphalt is also used to make roofing shingles. Despite its name, however, asphalt roofing shingles are not entirely made out of asphalt. Besides asphalt, this type of shingle is made of cementitious fillers and mineral fiber. Some of the advantages asphalt roofing has to offer include:
- There are a variety of styles and colors from which to choose
- It requires very little maintenance
- Premium asphalt shingles can last up to 50 years
Asphalt shingles are relatively easy to install, but if you need help, don't hesitate to contact an asphalt roofing services professional.
2. Metal Roofing
This type of roofing is made with either aluminum or steel, but metal roofing can also be made from other metals as well, such as copper. Metal roofing can also be made from a combination of metals including aluminum, silicon-coated steel, and zinc. Some advantages to metal roofing include:
- It can be installed on top of an older roof
- It is durable and can withstand heavy winds, hail, and extreme temperatures
- Some metal roofs can last for hundreds of years
Metal roofing should always be installed by a roofing professional who has experience working with various types of metals.
3. Wood Roofing
If you like the natural look, you may decide to choose roofing that consists of shingles made out of wood. Some of the most popular types of wood that shingles are made from include cypress, pine, cedar, and redwood. Wood roofing offers the following advantages:
- It provides great insulation and natural ventilation
- It is resistant to moisture and UV rays and is less susceptible to moss growth
- Depending on the type of wood used, it can last anywhere from 30 to 80 years
While you may need to have wood shingles professionally installed, they are easy to replace and repair.